Finding addiction treatment for a teen boy can feel like a complicated process. As a parent or guardian, you want to know they are being nurtured and keeping up with their academics while receiving the treatment they need. The adolescent addiction treatment program at Foothills at Red Oak Recovery does all that and more. Call us today for more information about our comprehensive therapies for adolescent treatment at 866.300.5275.
Determine If Your Teen Needs Addiction Treatment
It is not unusual for adolescents in the U.S. to begin experimenting with drugs or alcohol. There are many reasons to be concerned about such behavior, including the potential for addiction. According to the CDC, research shows that early exposure to drugs increases a teen’s risk of developing a substance use disorder.
Marijuana and alcohol are the substances most commonly used by teens, and both can cause dependence. With frequent use, teens develop intense cravings for these substances and may experience uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms if they stop.
The following warning signs indicate your teen is developing an addiction and needs treatment:
- Talking about drug or alcohol use frequently
- Poor academic performance
- Making new friends whom you don’t know
- Withdrawing from activities they previously enjoyed
- Lying about where they are or who they’re with
- Drastic changes in appearance, neglecting hygiene
- Drastic changes in behavior
If your teen exhibits more than one of the above warning signs, it may be time to seek the advice of a medical or mental health professional. A therapist, doctor, or school counselor can help determine whether the child has a substance use disorder or not and what kind of adolescent treatment for addiction would be best.
What to Look for in an Adolescent Addiction Treatment Center
Adolescents have different treatment needs than adults. Facilities that combine evidence-based treatments with alternative, holistic, and experiential therapies can often connect with young people and create an effective treatment plan.
Some of the therapies offered at Foothills at Red Oak Recovery include:
- Family therapy: This treatment focuses on the function of the family as a unit and assists with rebuilding trust.
- Co-occurring disorder treatment for adolescents: If your teen suffers from a mental health disorder in addition to addiction, this treatment will address both conditions.
- Trauma treatment: Our trauma treatment program helps adolescents process past traumatic events and move forward
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): This treatment helps adolescents change negative thinking patterns and behaviors.
- Animal care treatment and equine therapy: Our animal care program provides teens with responsibility and connection while they learn to trust again.
Addiction recovery is possible, but it takes tough love on the part of the parent. Tough love doesn’t mean harassing your child or being punitive. It means not enabling self-destructive behaviors. Instead of making excuses or covering for them when they get in trouble, show your love by finding a proven, accredited treatment facility that can help them.
Questions to Ask About Adolescent Addiction Treatment
Before finalizing the decision to get treatment for your child, make sure you understand all you can about the facility. The following questions will help you determine what is best for your teen:
- Is your center licensed and accredited?
- Will you provide a psychological evaluation?
- What will detox be like for my teen?
- What is your recovery philosophy?
- How long is the program?
- What academic services do you provide?
- What is the campus like, and can I visit?
With these questions answered, you’ll have a clearer idea of where to go to find the right adolescent addiction treatment for your child.
Foothills at Red Oak Recovery Specializes in Adolescent Addiction Treatment
At Foothills at Red Oak Recovery, we understand that teens in recovery have different needs than recovering adults. Our programs are designed especially for young adults who are struggling with substance use disorders and other forms of addiction, including eating disorders and process addictions. Call us today for more information about our treatment program at 866.300.5275.