Have you ever wondered why teen drug rehab centers exist? It’s often difficult to think of teens as people who struggle with addiction, especially if you have a teen in your home. But teenage brains seem to be wired specifically to rebel and engage in risky behavior. While some experimentation is normal, developing a substance use disorder is another thing entirely.
If you’re worried about your teen, first admit to yourself that your child needs professional help and your support to heal and maintain their sobriety. Your teen’s best chance for beating addiction starts when you acknowledge the reality of the situation and work with them. Are you searching for teen drug rehab options in North Carolina? Contact Foothills at Red Oak Recovery by calling 866.300.5275 or reaching out to our team online.
What Are Some Common Signs That Your Teen Needs to Get Admitted into Rehab?
Several signs may indicate that your teen has a substance use disorder. Sometimes, it can be difficult to tell these signs apart from symptoms of mental or behavioral health challenges. If you’re unsure, it’s best to schedule an appointment with a specialist who can assess and diagnose your teen.
Here are some common signs to watch out for:
- Changes in academic performance: A drop in typical academic performance is often a clear sign that your teen is facing serious mental health issues. These challenges may or may not be due to a substance use disorder.
- Changes in appearance: Your teen could stop paying attention to their physical appearance and general hygiene. They may also experience changes in their weight or display unexplained cuts or wounds.
- Changes in behavior: You may also begin to notice changes in your teen’s behavior, such as an unexplained change in favorite activities or hobbies, dishonesty, increased paranoia, and misplacing or losing valuables and money.
- Secretiveness: This sign is easy to identify. Your teen may be isolating themselves recently or might have trouble defending irregular actions.
What Makes Gender-Specific Drug Rehab More Effective?
Gender-specific and age-specific addiction treatment centers offer drug rehab for only teen boys or teen girls. Offering age-specific addiction treatment programs makes sense because these formal treatment options also offer continued education for teens. However, gender-specific programs are not so easily understandable.
According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), men and women experience addiction differently due to fundamental biological and cultural issues. These differences exist and are defined by statistics on dependence rates, choices of addictive substances, and even how the brain responds to substance use. Men tend to start addictive substances due to the perceived benefits they hope to gain from doing so, such as better concentration or increased sociability. For women, using addictive substances is more typically the result of dealing with traumatic experiences.
All of these differences between men and women also apply to teen boys and teen girls. Gender-specific addiction treatment programs are sensitive to all of these issues. It will address each of the sexes’ unique needs in a supportive and comfortable environment.
What Can Clients Expect from Drug Rehab for Teen Boys?
Teen boys in rehab programs created specifically for clients like them will find it easy to talk about and deal with whatever’s bothering them. However, they need to undergo detox before they get to the point where they’re speaking to therapists in individual sessions and other clients in group situations.
Like any other client, a teen that gets admitted into a rehab program must first go through a detoxification period. Sometimes, this will require medication-assisted treatment (MAT). In this treatment, FDA-approved drugs will be prescribed and then administered to your teen so that they can feel less discomfort and deal with their cravings.
Once your teen has stabilized, they may transition to their customized addiction treatment program’s schedule, which could include the following:
- Continued education services
- Educational programs for both teens and parents or guardians
- Experiential therapies that help teens build self-esteem
- Individual, group, and family counseling sessions
Begin Treatment at Foothills at Red Oak Recovery
If you’re looking for teen drug rehab options in North Carolina, contact Foothills at Red Oak Recovery. Call 866.300.5275 or reach out to our team online.