As our children grow older, so too do our worries for them. The further they get from the nest, the harder it is to keep them safe. So many influences lead down the wrong road. Steering your child clear of adolescent substance abuse is a big challenge, especially as they get into their teens.
Parents are often the biggest influence on whether someone falls to the risks of substance abuse and needs treatment. To learn more about these risks, contact Foothills at Red Oak today at 866.300.5275.
4 Ways Parents Can Influence Adolescent Substance Abuse
The challenges of parenting are many, and they can be frightening. The world moves so quickly, with many different forces combining to shift the direction of our lives. Keeping children free of drugs or alcohol is one of the steepest of challenges. Here are four ways parents can influence adolescent substance abuse:
- Be involved: Know where your child is, with whom, and when, and what role those people play. Get to know their friends and their friends’ families.
- Set rules: Parents face pressure to give their children what they want. The best parents know that saying “no” is something children need to hear. Discipline is key in reducing adolescent substance abuse.
- Learn the facts: Know the risks and the symptoms of substance abuse; talk about the dangers openly.
- Build a secure family unit: Trust and respect can cascade across the family to reiterate the message.
Following these principles can provide robust defenses against the impact of drugs and alcohol.
Symptoms of Substance Abuse
Recognizing the signs of substance abuse is the first big step toward adolescent substance abuse treatment. But they aren’t easy to spot. Some symptoms to be on the lookout for:
- Losing interest in activities that once gave great pleasure
- Sleep disruptions
- Fluctuations in weight
- Changes in eating habits
- Arguments with family members/friends
- Problems at school or work
- Poor hygiene
One of these signs alone may not suggest a problem; taken in bunches, however, it’s a good sign that it’s time to get help for adolescent substance abuse.
Elements of Adolescent Substance Abuse Treatment
Trusting your child’s health and welfare to a rehab or treatment facility is a scary step. It comes with elements of uncertainty. But it’s the right thing to do. It helps to understand the basics of a substance abuse treatment program, so you can choose the best place to get help.
Keep in mind that adolescent substance abuse is unique to the individual. No two treatment plans are the same. But the elements include:
- Assessment: A comprehensive medical and psychological workup to establish a baseline for your health.
- Treatment planning: Information from the evaluation comes together in a thorough roadmap for treatment.
- Detox: In most instances, the first step of treatment is detox, which involves the purging of drugs or alcohol under medical staff supervision.
- Counseling: Exploring the reasons why the substance began and developing coping skills.
- Aftercare: Involving resources to help reduce the risk of a relapse.
Trust the professionals at Foothills at Red Oak to help guide your family through adolescent substance abuse treatment rigors.
Treatment for Substance Abuse at Foothills at Red Oak
In addition to our substance abuse treatment program, Foothills also addresses process addictions, co-occurring disorders, and other types of mental health challenges. Young people are society’s most precious gem. Don’t let substance abuse steal them away. We offer several addiction treatment programs, including:
- Alcohol addiction treatment
- Heroin addiction treatment
- Prescription pill addiction treatment
- Opioid addiction treatment
- Cocaine addiction treatment
Getting help for adolescent substance abuse may be the most critical decision you will ever make as a parent. Substance abuse can be devastating, not only for your young one but also for your entire family. Trust Foothills at Red Oak Recovery to help. Our team of addiction specialists and counselors zeroes in on the unique concerns of boys ages 14 to 17. We can help develop a thorough, responsible treatment plan that will deliver detox, counseling, and aftercare services. Schedule an appointment or consultation right away by contacting Foothills at Red Oak at 866.300.5275.